Pages

Saturday 8 June 2013

Tony Bellew talks huge win over Isaac Chilemba and WBC title shot

Tony Bellew told Ringside that his victory over Isaac Chilemba saved him from a possible career meltdown.

The Liverpool pugilist drew with Chilemba in late March but bounced back in fine style to beat the 26-year-old on points at the 02 Arena on May 25 on the Carl Froch-Mikkel Kessler undercard.
Bellew revealed that he would have struggled to step back between the ropes had he lost to the Malawian, but explained that he was delighted by the manner of his win in London, which made him a mandatory challenger for the WBC light-heavyweight title.
"Everything was on the line [against Chilemba] and I would go as far as to say that if it didn't go well that night, I don't know if I could have got back in the ring," said Bellew, whose only career defeat came in 2011 at the hands of fellow Brit Nathan Cleverly.
"I bullied Chilemba and proved that I am a better fighter than him."
Tony Bellew
"Going through a camp for 12 weeks, having three days off and then going through another 10-week camp emotionally and physically breaks you, while I also read and listened to everything the doubters had said.
"But I kept my head down until the fight and it felt like mission complete when I'd won - and I was really happy with the way I did the job second time around to get rid of Chilemba.
"I made him angrier than before, bullied him, roughed him up and dealt with him in every minute of every round - and proved that I am a better fighter than him."
Groove
Dawson was conquered by Andre Ward last September when he dropped down to super-middleweight, but Bellew expects the American to fire again now that he has returned to his preferred division.

The Merseysider is tipping Dawson to retain his belt in Montreal - but says he would have no qualms facing either fighter and would even head into Stevenson's territory in pursuit of his maiden world title.
On Dawson, who defeated the veteran Bernard Hopkins to earn his gold, Bellew said: "He didn't impose his will at any point against Ward, but it is rare you see Dawson floored so heavily so early on in a fight.
"He wasn't right at 168 pounds, and certainly didn't look like the fighter that I know he is, and the million dollar question is whether that will affect him - but I think that when he is at 175 pounds and gets into his groove Stevenson will be in trouble.
"Stevenson brings power, though; he is heavy handed in both hands, is wild and doesn't have any regard for defence - but if I could pick one of them to fight it would be him as it would be a war in the middle of the ring.

"I have hundreds and thousands of Scousers that want it [at home] but I would go to Stevenson's backyard - and I mean his backyard."

0 comments:

Post a Comment